Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Cupeno Removal

There is an article in the San Diego Reader about the Cupeno Removal of 1903.

Here is a link and an excerpt:

This land is mine: The Cupeño removal of 1903 The blackest of crimes committed against Warner Ranch Indians.

By Jeff Smith, March 30, 2016

Visitors to the Indian village at Kupa were often struck by the silence. No loud voices, no sudden shouts. Even children played quietly. A stillness spread from the bowl-shaped Valle de San Jose below, past Warner’s Ranch, and up to where Cupeños busied themselves with the tasks of the moment — tasks their people had performed since time for them began.


On May 13, 1901, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the California Supreme Court’s decision: J. Harvey Downey and his stockholders legally owned Agua Caliente — aka Kupa. It did not matter that the Cupeños lived there centuries before the Spanish came. In the original case, Barker vs. Harvey, attorneys for John Downey, J. Harvey’s uncle, argued that no natives were on the site in 1844, when John J. Warner obtained the land grant. And they never filed a claim to the Board of Land Commissioners in 1851.


Courts from San Diego to Washington DC read “vacant and abandoned” to mean no Indians were on the property. But in 1893, Warner said that wasn’t true. Eighty-five years old and gravely ill, Warner gave a deposition at his home in Los Angeles. The southern half of the valley was abandoned, he said, not the northern, which included Agua Caliente/Kupa. He “never heard of them being displaced.” The original grant even stipulated that he could not interfere with roads and other usages,” meaning the native village.

Read the full article at the link below.

This land is mine: The Cupeño removal of 1903 The blackest of crimes committed against Warner Ranch Indians.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Pala Interactive Making News

Gaming Realms Bingo Content Goes Live with Pala Interactive

Under the terms of the deal, Gaming Realms will supply its recently introduced 90-ball bingo game to Pala’s online bingo brand – PalaBingoUSA. The website is known to be the only one within the New Jersey borders to be offering that type of bingo. Pala Interactive has previously been granted the necessary transactional waiver by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement for the provision of gambling services within the state.

Pala Interactive is New Jersey’s subsidiary of the Pala Band of Mission Indians, a California-based federally recognized tribe, known to be one of the major providers of gambling options in California. Under the terms of their recently signed agreement, Gaming Realms will deliver its bingo game to Pala Interactive’s online bingo website and will receive a portion of the annual revenue generated by the brand.

Read Full Article Here->Gaming Realms Bingo Content Goes Live with Pala Interactive

More news:

New Jersey Sets New Record For Online Gambling Revenue Despite Poker Decline


Furthermore, Borgata is expected to switch over to a online poker client powered by Pala Interactive sometime in the next quarter. How the platform stacks up against its current client (provided by PartyPoker), may weigh heavily on the operator’s future viability in the marketplace.



Intertain also announced that directors Stan Dunford and Mark Redmond had stepped down immediately. In their stead, current Pala Interactive CEO and former co-CEO Jim Ryan has been appointed an independent director, while current Intertain board member David Danziger has been appointed chairman.

Pala Interactive in New Jersey-first with bingo launch

Monday, March 14, 2016

No Shortage of Funds

Union Tribune - Housing projects continue slow march forward


Perhaps sooner to come before the county will be the Warner Ranch project, a 780-home development proposed for 513 acres just north of state Route 76 on private land less than a half mile west of the Pala Resort & Casino.

The neighboring Pala Band of Mission Indians, which has no shortage of funds, says it will oppose Warner Ranch for many reasons including water and traffic.

Read Full Article Here - Union Tribune - Housing projects continue slow march forward

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Pala Murder Case Status Update UPDATE: Court proceedings begin in case relating to Pala man’s death

The Fallbrook/Bonsall Village News

By Debbie Ramsey on March 7, 2016

VISTA – One of two North County residents who reported finding a stranger dead in the garage of their home last week pleaded not guilty today, Mon., March 7 to being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Anthony James Boles, 32, faces up to three years in prison if convicted of the gun offense. He was ordered held on $200,000 bail.

Boles and Tyann Louise Allen, 33, were arrested last Thursday, March 3, at the Valley Center Sheriff’s Substation, where they had voluntarily gone to be questioned about the shooting death of 44-year-old Bradley Trujillo Jr., whom they claimed not to have known.

Allen has not been charged with any crime in the case and is expected to be released from jail.

On Wednesday evening, Allen and Boles reported finding Trujillo’s body upon returning to their residence on Robles Way in Pala following a dinner outing, sheriff’s Lt. Dan Brislin said.

The victim died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to the county Medical Examiner’s Office, which ruled his death a homicide.

Authorities have disclosed no suspected motive for the slaying. Allen’s and Boles’ assertions that they were not acquainted with Trujillo remain under investigation, the lieutenant said.

Detectives said they found no evidence of forced entry at the home.

Boles is scheduled to be back in court March 15 for a readiness conference. A preliminary hearing is set for March 17.

Read More Here--> UPDATE: Court proceedings begin in case relating to Pala man’s death

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Murder On The Pala Reservation Makes The News

As most of you know there was a murder on the Pala Reservation.  I have been waiting for more verifiable facts before posting anything.  The name has not been officially released nor has any motive been disclosed.  Of course rumor and speculation abound in the comments sections.

However, an anonymous commenter has now suggested that somehow I am being paid by Robert Smith not to mention the murder.  So I will post links to the news articles for people to read or not read, your choice.   The facts as they are known are described in the articles.  Those facts are a 44 year old male was found murdered.  An investigation is on-going but enough evidence has been garnered to arrest 32-year-old Anthony James Boles Sr. and 30-year-old Tyann Louise Allen for probable cause.  The motive is still under investigation.  The San Diego Sheriff homicide division is investigating.

The investigation needs to play out.  In the United States one is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

From the

"Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Homicide Detail at (858) 974- 2321/after hours at (858) 565-5200. You can also remain anonymous by calling Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477 and be eligible for up to a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest." Man and woman arrested for murder a Pala man - Dead Man Found at Pala Indian Reservation in Suspected Homicide - UPDATED: Arrests Made in Pala Indian Reservation Homicide - Two Arrested for Murder on Pala Reservation

Views expressed in the comments section are not mine nor are they endorsed by me.  I do not endorse or condone any views expressed by anonymous commenters or otherwise.  Please do not conflate a blog post with blog comments.  They are two different things.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

NIGC Derelict In Its Fiduciary Responsibility to Individual American Indians

Good article in Indian Country Today.  Here are some excerpts.


Indian Country Today - NIGC Must Deter Gaming Per Capita Misuse

By Gabriel S. Galanda 3/1/16

It is easy to blame the Congress, the BIA,, and federal courts for allowing mass tribal disenrollment to flourish. They are all complicit.

But behind the scenes another federal entity plays a key role, especially in the increasing number of disenrollments tied to gaming per capitas: the National Indian Gaming Commission (NIGC).

Over the last five years, the NIGC has shied away from regulating gaming per capita distributions, and by doing so emboldened a growing number of tribal politicians to disenroll their kin to increase income for those politicians’ allies.
More to the point, while the NIGC does not have authority over any tribe’s “enrollment decisions,” the agency does possess the statutory power—and indeed is mandated—to intercede in disenrollment-related gaming per capita misuse. 25 U.S.C. § 2702(2); 25 C.F.R. § 290.14(b). The Commission can and should regulate the money. Prior NIGC Chairmen understood that. The current Commission demurs.
The NIGC’s deference to an intra-tribal system of check and balance in that context, is derelict. So is the Commission when it comes to the trust responsibility it owes to every single enrolled member of gaming tribes.

By the admission of former NIGC Chairman Harold Monteau, the NIGC owes a “direct trust (fiduciary) responsibility to American Indians”—meaning not merely to tribal governments, but to tribal members, including those who face disenrollment.  (emph. added)