Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Regarding Commnets

I hope everyone had a Happy New Year.   Let's hope 2013 is better than 2012.

I have struggled for many months with the tone and tenor of the comments on this blog.  And while I was considered a member of the Pala Band of Mission Indians for 19 years I am also a United States Citizen.  As a Citizen of the United States I do believe in The Constitution which has enshrined in it Freedom of Speech.

For this reason I have not yet censored comments or required registration.  I have wrestled with this and even thought of turning the comments section off at times.

I cannot and do not speak for anyone else but myself.  Comments on this blog do not reflect my own personal views.  I do not agree with any of the hateful things being said about anyone.  I don't think it's necessary to call people names.

I am also against violence.  My own view is violence is not a solution.  It would only perpetuate the problem for more generations.  Solutions need to be pursued through the legal system, the BIA, and through Tribal Government.  That is my opinion.

I would also caution everyone on putting too much weight behind anything anyone says anonymously.  You don't know who they are or what their agenda is.  Some I fear are just trying to stir trouble and to continue giving the Brittain Family a bad name.

I have no problem with vigorous debate.  I have no problem debating the facts and the issues.  Discussions can surely get heated over the facts.  But they do not have to resort to name calling or threats of violence.

In many ways it seems the comments section has turned into an unruly Pala General Council meeting with anonymous commenters playing those role of those who make snide comments during the meetings.  Much of the comments are nothing more than graffiti on the wall of a bathroom stall.

If you guys want to call each other names and jawbone each other I would ask that you take it somewhere else.  Post on each others Facebook pages.  Go comment to each other on forums.  Tweet at each other.  Send each other emails.  Or go meet in the park and jawbone each other there.  There is no need for it here.

For now I will continue to respect Freedom of Speech but please remember with Freedom of Speech also comes responsibility.

No comments: